Thursday, October 31, 2013

One Room Challenge Link Party: Week 5





Week 5 of the challenge, almost to the end! So, what'd I get done this week? I guess I made some pretty good progress. First I had to shop my house for furniture. I grow tired of things in specific locations and often like to move stuff around. It's the most economical way for a big change around here. 

I started off with this trunk. It was my great-great grandmother's suitcase, crazy right? Yes. I can't imagine lugging something so heavy around all the time, but I guess that's what they did. I love that it's an heirloom piece, though. Those are my favorite. 


I also moved our Pottery Barn Brandon Rug in here from the studio room. It was rolled up not being appreciated, so I decided to bring it out once again. 


The details on the old trunk are priceless. Wouldn't you love to know the stories behind this piece?


I also had Hubs move a large leaning mirror out of our bedroom and into this guest room. 


I started styling the reading nook area... almost finished. The rocking chair was my parents. I was rocked to sleep many nights in this bad boy. I don't know how my mom kept it looking so brand new. I think it must be a generational thing. Nothing I have would look new after 30 years, that's for sure.


Pillows and blanket are from HomeGoods. Basket is from Target. 



I also started styling the nightstands. I found a cute chalkboard paint topiary at HomeGoods that I couldn't resist. 


And the dresser got some feathers. 


This nightstand is pretty much finished. I stacked the lamp on some old law school books. A reminder to myself that I actually got through three years of hell! HA.


Oh... and my curtain dilemma I was having last week. I found some from West Elm, only of course they were sold out. Have no fear, I was able to score them on eBay! $25/panel no less! Woo! I love a bargain. These are the linen grommet drapes in graphite. 



I'm loving how it's all coming together. It feels much more fall-like and cozy in here now! Just a few things to finish up here and there... see you next week for the final reveal!


Guest Room to do:

curtains
shop my house for furniture, etc.
patch holes
lamp makeover
accessories
artwork
finishing details




24 comments :

TheKimSix Fix said...

It is really coming along. I love the colors and warmth with all your selections!

Behind Those Doors said...

I love furniture that tell a story and have some history. The rocking chair and trunk add so much charm and look lovely in your room.

SHERRY HART said...

Love the old trunk! I also love to shop my house.....the best bargains ever:) One more week!

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

What an adorable nook! I'm excited to see it all next week!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Wow, this looks great. Nice finds and I love the trunk.

Lisa - A Room with A View said...

You are almost done! The glimpses look amazing and certainly fall-like! I absolutely love the trunk!

Vel Criste said...

Love all your accessories especially the trunk! your almost there!!!!!!

Kim said...

Bringing in those special family pieces really make a room ... love where the room is going and your guests are not going to want to leave!!

Traci Hutton said...

The trunk is amazing! Can't wait to see the finale!

Eris @ The Pink House Reno said...

Love family pieces! Nothing better :)

Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design said...

How amazing to have the rocking chair you were rocked in as a baby. I love that you still have your great-grandmothers trunk (suitcase). It is so nice to have things from your family that were handed down. The drapes and the accessories look fabulous. Looking forward to the final reveal next week.
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Jessica said...

Love the trunk! Great score on the curtains, too. It's amazing that you still have your childhood rocking chair--I had a chair like that in my daughter's room and my son put his knee through it within a year. Oops.

Michelle Woeller said...

The trunk and rug go together beautifully! Love the color scheme and all the different textures...so cozy! Elle

Carol said...

Things are looking GREAT!

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

love the trunk and all of your ighting. just amazing can't wait to see it all come together!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

The trunk is awesome, especially with the rug. I love this eclectic mix.

meg said...

That trunk is amazing! Looking so great so far - can't wait to see the final reveal!

Mallory said...

The rocking chair and pharmacy lamp are to die for! Looking great!

Kris @ Driven by D├ęcor said...

I love that there is a story behind the trunk and rocking chair and they are both such beautiful pieces! You're rocking it out - looks like you're already ready for the final reveal (want to come help me with the 100 things still left on my list :-)

willowinteriors said...

What a great family piece you have in that trunk!! Can't wait to see it all together next week!

StagerLinda said...

Gorgeous, comfy and an authentic story to go with it all!

Mary Jo said...

I love how the styling is giving it such a rich and textured look. Love your Target basket!

xo Mary Jo
http://MagicalMined.blogspot.com

Nam said...

Wonderful fall feeling ~ I love the large paisley pillows and don't see a source for those? do tell!

Ashley @ The Houston House said...

Thank you! Pottery Barn

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's chat.