Thursday, October 24, 2013

One Room Challenge Link Party: Week 4

 

Week 4 of the challenge, dang where is the time going? 

I mentioned last week I wanted to change up the mats on these frames to update them a bit. The mats were in great shape, but I wasn't so much feeling the yellowish grasscloth look.

 

So, they got a what-was-supposed-to-be quick makeover. These frames were made in the 80's, so it took me about 5 years to figure out how to open the backs and remove the mats. Once I finally removed every last metal tooth and piece of framing tape, the rest was pretty simple. All I did was paint them gray with a few coats of Sherwin Williams gauntlet gray I had leftover from a sample.
I think they look much fresher now! Not that I don't love the 80's, but you know...

I also decided to go with the Zimba pillows.. thank you for all of your suggestions!

 

I had a few other DIY projects I wanted to tackle this week as well, starting with the bedside lamps. I got these at Stein Mart and they were bright orange. I loved the look for a while, but grew tired of it. It's a loud color, so I knew even when I bought them I'd probably end up changing them at some point. It's what I do, ha!

 

So, this week they got a few coats of Annie Sloan chalk paint in old white. I am obsessed with chalk paint. It is so easy to use and really does stick to anything (especially your clothes, so look out). 


 

My other DIY project this week was curtains with my leftover linen fabric. Guess what? That didn't happen. Ha. I had the best of intentions to make the curtains, but at 34 weeks pregnant and with a back that's on fire most of the time, I'm thinking I'll skip this task. Hopefully I can find something either in my stash or on super discount that will work. I ran to the Ballard outlet to see if they had anything.. .they had plenty, but nothing for this room. Boo. While there, I got several alarming stares. I am wondering if people are afraid I'll have this baby in their store? HA! 



I also started accessorizing the dresser area... still some work to be done in the weeks ahead, but it's a start.

 

Overall, I think I made some big dents in the ol' to do list this week. In the weeks ahead, I need to shop my house for a few furniture pieces (aka ask Hubs nicely to move stuff from room to room, oh his favorite task...) and finish the little details. See you next week!

Guest Room to do:  

curtains?
shop my house for furniture, etc.
patch holes
lamp makeover
shop my favorite go-to spots for accessories
choose artwork
finishing details

Don't forget to check out the other bloggers participating

18 comments :

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

Totally need to try my hand at some AS chalk paint. Your lamp looks great!

Lisa - A Room with A View said...

Great work on the lamp base. Have not tried chalk paint yet myself. It is great that you have taken on this challenge at this stage of the pregnancy.

Traci Hutton said...

I love the colors and textures of your room, can't wait to see the final product!! 34 weeks ~ Congrats!

Kim said...

AS Chalk paint ... I have yet to try it ... but I think it needs to come into my life!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

You look great! I am impressed with your energy level. I love the lamp and am jealous that you have a Ballard outlet near you. Good luck and go easy on yourself.

Kris @ Driven by D├ęcor said...

How did someone so pregnant get so much more done than me this week :-) Your lamp looks gorgeous - I'm an AS Chalk paint fan too. And I'd never thought about painting picture matts before - great idea!

Kimber McGallagher said...

You are so darn cute. I'd totally be one of those creepy belly touchers if I saw you in a store. Good luck with the curtains. Room is looking great. Yay for Zimba!

Calypso In The Country said...

Your room is looking beautiful! You are getting so much done!
-Shelley

Renee@Casa Stephens said...

Your lamp turned out so well! Looks like your room (and your cute little baby bump) are coming along nicely =)

Carol said...

Wow! I'm impressed you got so much done - I am also having the curtain issue (only I don't have ANY outlet store anywhere near me). I keep scrolling the internet but, so far, nothing! I haven't tried AS Chalk Paint yet, but your lamps turned out really nice. Thinks are looking good!

Heather@Tatter and Fray said...

It looks beautiful! It's amazing what a difference just painting the matting on this framed prints makes in the room.

SHERRY HART said...

I have just recently painted some old mats and it works so well! Love the gray with the pictures....

Vel Criste said...

Didn't realize your 34 weeks and tackling this project! Kudos to you!!!! Your room is coming along perfectly, love the grey mats with your pillows and your lamp does look so much better in white since the brass pops up! good luck with your curtains!

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

Great idea to paint the paint mattes and they look great. Also love the zimba pillows!

Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design said...

I have never used chalk paint - that lamp is gorgeous - love the new color. Love the new matting on your frames. Looking forward to seeing your final space.
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

willowinteriors said...

Those lamps look great! I've been wanting to try chalk paint! I'll have to look into it! And it's amazing what a difference painting the mats make... Can't wait to see the finished space!
I am feeling really behind in my room...i better step it up this week!

Kimberly Lemmon said...

Did you know Zimba is at the top of my list of all time favorite fabrics? Love it!

pam {simple details} said...

I've never thought to use chalk paint on lamps - yours look fabulous, thanks for the tip! Love your pattern mix on the pillows!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's chat.