Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dining Room Chairs- Progress

Well, I finally finished up my dining chairs I started nearly a month ago... oops. Ok, I've only finished 2 of them, and have 2 to go, but who is counting (my husband). I don't recommend starting a big project well into your third trimester, ha. Anyways, I am loving the new dining room look. I decided to pull in black and white to make it tie into the rest of the first floor. The curtains I scored at the Ballard outlet (Concorde Medallion Panels) a few months ago for $30 a panel. That's right.


After several conversations with chalk paint guru Savvy Kim (and I do mean several, I probably bugged her to death!), I decided to try it out for myself. I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old White and followed up with the clear wax. The seats are covered in Waverly ticking stripe. 


I changed up the china cabinet, too in an effort to channel more of a library feel. Hubs' response was "are these our very best books on display?" Ha. He thinks he is funny. Maybe one day I'll get around to covering the books in linen fabric, but then again maybe not. 



I love the contrast of the white chairs and the heavy table and china cabinet. Hopefully it makes the room feel bigger and more interesting.


I lightly distressed them. I was going to do heavy distressing, but Hubs wasn't on board with that idea. I do listen to him some of the time :)


I also swapped out the end chair covers with these grainsack covers from Pottery Barn.  


For the record, I thought the Annie Sloan chalk paint was incredibly easy to use. It's amazing to be able to completely skip the sanding and priming steps when painting furniture. The paint is pricey, so look for deals and giveaways in blogland or at your local stores that carry it. But, it is totally worth the investment when considering the time it will save you. The older I get, the more I realize, time is money! 


So that's all the changes for now. Maybe I can get the other 2 chairs done this weekend.... TBD.