Monday, July 18, 2016

Screened Porch: We Have A Roof!

Something I didn't necessarily think I'd see when we got married- Hubby scaling a roof. Ha. He's now skilled craftsman-metal roof-installer guy. Actually, I think he's now happier than ever that he's not a roofer by trade. 



Day One: all of the big pieces were up pretty much. No broken legs or arms. Victory!



It started raining, so work stopped that afternoon. Metal roof plus lightning- probably not a great idea. 


At the end of the first day, this long piece still needed to be installed. Oh, that thing on the ground? Yes, that is one ugly as sin Clemson garden gnome. I was hoping he would get broken in this building process. So far, he's prevailed. Curses.

Evans thinks he's a Santa Claus. 


Day Two: metal roof complete! 


And Day Three (aka early this morning) : Gable end closed up and ready for Hardie Plank!


Close up of the color. It's is almost an exact match of our shutters. It's Millennium Metals 5V in Gray if you are in the market for metal roofing supplies.


We are still debating leaving the trusses exposed and painting them or finishing the ceiling off with Azek boards. TBD. 




They do look cool, and I love the way the rain sounds hitting the metal. 


So here's where we are now! It's at least functional now, even though it's not painted or screened yet. Love how shaded it is now! Take that, Savannah heat.


Still to do:

Hardie Plank siding on lower wall and gable. 
Beadboard interior wall (and ceiling?)
Paint
Screens
Decorate/Accessorize 


Jury is still out on paint/stain. Seeing it this far in the process now has me thinking all gray. Why is it I can decide things for clients no problem, but for my own projects I'm so dang indecisive!?! 

The back of the house has lots of white, although we do have gray shutters on our windows, I'm kind of wanting more contrast. So now I think we may paint the siding the same gray as the shutters (Behr Elephant Skin), stain the columns with Behr semitransparent stain (something like Cape Cod Gray or Drift Gray... TBD). We'll see! :) 

One weekend of work closer to completion!