Thursday, May 14, 2015

Coastal Style

I love coastal style interiors and exteriors and am so thrilled that I live in a place where that style totally makes sense.  Savannah is definitely a place of inspiration for a more relaxed and casual lifestyle, which I think should translate over to the way your home feels. 




I've been pinning things lately that reflect that feel. I'm loving the look of this house- white exterior, dark charcoal shutters, blue door, wall lanterns. Yes and yes! I definitely want to recreate this look when we have a place of our own. 
via Sherry Hart- Design Indulgence 

I also love, love, love Jane Coslick. If you don't follow her blog, you should add it to your reader. Her cottage designs are really cool.  Love what she did with these old shutter doors. You find these in older ranch homes here and they feel dated. I love how her design made them fresh with a pop of color and some distressing. Too cute! 

via Jane Coslick Cottages 

Another architectural element you see all over Savannah are board and batten shutters. Soooo coastal. I feel like this style is a must down here! 


With all this inspiration, I pulled out my paint brush and got two new paintings finished.  Painting is my therapy!



I decided it was time to make this rental feel more like a home too and less like "just a rental". Who knows how long we will be in this house, so I really want it to feel like "ours". 

I started with the foyer area. The furniture from our Atlanta house was mostly black & white, gold, and dark. I felt like it worked in our traditional suburban house, but wasn't feeling right down here. 


I reupholstered the bench and painted the legs. With some help of Annie Sloan, I painted our old console table in duck egg blue & french linen. The transformation was instant and so satisfying!! I love this pop of color when entering the front door. It makes me smile! 


I swapped out the old hardware for mercury glass handles from Hobby Lobby. 


 I also made an oyster shell mirror to bounce more light off the walls and bring in more of that coastal feel. This is a small house so the more light the better! 


This is easily my favorite spot in the house now! Whereas before it was so dark and drab, now it feels so bright and airy to me. 


I also changed up our china cabinet. More Annie Sloan.. this time in paris gray and french linen with dark wax. The heavy farmhouse table and the heavy china cabinet and dark stain just felt... well... too heavy in a small room like this. The weathered gray I think helps soften the look, and I love the contrast between the warm table and the airy mirrors and cabinet now.  

I went ahead and painted the two black dining chairs as well. 

before 
Fruit bowl anyone? Ha..... Did I mention I live with a toddler... snack time....



Made some new pillows out of fabric leftovers I've been hoarding.... Yes, hoarding... you wouldn't believe the fabric piles I own. 


And lastly, my husband's old oars. He was about to throw these out (GASP). I all but threw myself in front of the garbage truck in a heroic effort to save these worn-out beauties. They will be proudly displayed on the wall soon! 


So, here's to making a house, even a rental, a home. Evans likes it. :)