Thursday, February 6, 2014

Eight Weeks

8 weeks, oh my. A week of firsts, yet again. First, her hair on top of her head has all fallen out. She has thick hair on the sides and back. The Jack Nicholson in full effect...



She wore this SC onesie for the first time.... E for Heisman. Go Gamecocks!



My parents were here last weekend loving on her. Their favorite thing to do these days :)



How cute is this onesie? It was warm enough one day this week for her to strut it. Ready for shopping and lunch! 



This week Hubs had to travel for work, so it was the first time it was just me and Evans. Monday through Wednesday went off without a hitch. I was tired, yes, but nothing out of the ordinary. 



Then came Wednesday night. I decided to try to get her to sleep in our room in the rock-n-play rather than her swing. Stupid mommy. It sent her into full on tantrum for the next two hours. I'm talking mouth wide open, screaming bloody murder. I was conviced she hated me. I tried everything to console her known to mommies, nothing worked. 

In my final effort, I put her in the car and drove around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes. I was on my last leg. She was, too. I was at a point where once we got back to the house, I was planning to lay her in her crib, screaming and all, while I took a shower just to compose myself. Ouch. Have any of you mamas been there? It's a dark and desperate place. I doubted my ability as a mom. I didn't love being a parent at that moment in time. I wasn't sure how many more days like that I could do. I was at my worst and wondering when it would "get better".  It's not all rainbows and butterflies. A lot of times it's dirty diapers, spit up covered clothes, fussing, mountains of laundry, unwashed hair, and unbrushed teeth. Just the honest truth. 

Thankfully, by the time we pulled into the driveway, Hubs had made it back into town! Not a moment too soon. I was crying, Evans was crying, and Hubs was there to the rescue. I will never forget this. Hubs looked at me and said "you aren't a single mom", took her, and dismissed me. Daddy duty kicked in, and I went to bed. So did Evans. 

It's hard when grandparents are 4 hours away. I don't know how single parents do it. Help is sooooo important. In that instant, I was ready to pack everything up and move back to my real home in Carolina. A baby changes everything, doesn't it?

By Thursday, while my spirits were still crushed and feelings hurt, E had completely gotten over it. Like it never even happened. Kids. 


And with this smile, I felt great again. Being a mom never felt so good, despite the milk on my shirt, the grease in my hair, and the dishes I still hadn't gotten to. 



Thursday night, she made it up to me by sleeping from 8-3, and again from 3:30-5 and 5:30-7:30 and 8-9 this morning. Hallelujah. She loves me after all. 





Another first this week- napping in her crib! I'm trying to get her used to it. She is sleeping 45 minutes to an hour each time. I consider that a win! Won't be long before the crib is her home (we hope). 

So that was 8 weeks. She keeps getting cuter. My love keeps growing stronger. And the laundry continues to pile up.