Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ooh That Smell

Can't you smell that smell? Ooh that smell.  Smell of awesome surrounds you... and it will if you take my advice.  If you know me, you know I'm a candle junkie.  Bad.  I just love the way candles look burning, and I love a good smellin' home.  I love candles so much in fact, that the smell of death almost surrounded me.  Ok, maybe not quite that bad.  I didn't burn a house down or anything, but recently I did find myself with a trip to the ER over a shattered-candle-into-thumb situation.  Ouch.  ER bill and tetanus shot later, that was the most expensive candle I ever purchased. And, I'm reminded of it everyday with my battle wound. 

Ok, aside from candles being dangerous, especially when you are dumb like me and try to save and re-use a broken one, candles are also a delight.  So back to that part.  I've tried out all sorts of brands.  Yankee, Glade, Febreeze, Pottery Barn, Aveda, Bath & Body Works, and a host of others.  Here are my thoughts on my favorite candles, taking into account the aroma they produce, the way they burn, and the life of the product. 

First, let me say that I love Yankee's smells.  (Not to be read I love the way yankees smell.)  However, I've found that Yankee candles don't last as long as they should for their price tag.  They tend to burn unevenly, and as such you're left with a lot of wax and no wick to burn at the very end.  Ultimate sad face for a candle.


As far as scents go, my favorite is the Aveda Shampure candle.  It is amazing.  So fresh and spa-like without being too overbearing.  It has lavender in it, but I wouldn't say that it is a flowery smell.  Another disclaimer- I don't do flowery.  I like candles that smell clean, lemony, or you know like a spice.  Not flowery.  You will not catch me buying anything with rose in the name.  The Shampure scent is exactly how you would picture a spa smelling.  But, Aveda candles tend to do the same thing Yankee candles do, they don't burn evenly.  But the Shampure scent is worth it.


Next, an all-time favorite scent of mine is the Pottery Barn Ocean collection.  I haven't actually tried out a Pottery Barn candle, so I can't speak to that.  But, I've bought the reed diffusers.  They are wonderful, and strong enough to fill up a good sized room.  The ocean scent really does smell beachy, without being Banana Boat or Coppertone ish.  Go try it out, you'll be feeling coastal in no time.

And last but not least, a find I randomly came across the other day.  And in my local supermarket, no less! Don't you love a good cheapo? I do.  It is from the Essential Elements collection.  I found it at Publix, but I'm sure they are elsewhere.  The scent I grabbed is called "Eucalyptus & Cucumber".  It is ridiculously yummy.  A very close comparison to Aveda's Shampure scent.  But, for a large 3 wick candle with a $8 price tag, not a close comparison to any of my other favorites- in a good way.  And the aroma power is unbelievable.  I had the candle sitting on our fireplace, lit for I'd guess 3 hours, and I could smell it all the way upstairs in the bedroom.  Outstanding!! 

You have to go try it for yourself.  I'm totally hooked.  So far, it is burning completely EVENLY, too.  It is so hard to find a candle that actually does that.  I'm amazed!  So, what are your favorites?