Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Dear Evans (6)

Dear Evans,

This birthday letter comes almost a month late, but life here lately has been mostly chaotic, to which you and your sister have contributed. :)

S I X! How do three little letters feel so big?

Off to kindergarten you went this year. That first day of school I was so worried you wouldn't make it to your classroom. Convinced you'd be lost wandering the woods of Ballentine all day long trying to find your way home. Being the sensible mama I am, I of course made your daddy call the school and make sure that you were in fact in the place you were meant to be. And, you were. Of course. Not wandering the woods, but discovering the big new hallways of elementary school. Without me.

I'm ok, I promise I am. I've had S I X years to prepare for this, after all. Chin up.

No longer sheltered by church preschool, and a drop off and pick up schedule that changed based on the weather.  No longer able to play hooky or stay in pajamas later if the desire may arise. And I do mean me, here.

You've taken off without any hiccups. I knew that you would. You've never been shy to a new friend group or situation. You've always been my brave girl. Now you're my brave girl that's also a giant. The squishy toddler is gone. Standing about as tall as me, and I'm only exaggerating by a little here. You tower over your classmates and it makes me chuckel. I know the days are numbered before I'm officially the shrimp of the house. You are my tall string bean. And so girly. The clothes, the makeup, the costumes. All girl. I see glimpses into your future and it both terrifies and thrills me.

Not ready. And I do mean me here.

I knew that starting "real" school would present new challenges and new worries. I pray every day that you are kind and that you would seek to include everyone. And I pray that others would have the same heart towards you. As I'm loading you up for carline, I'm loading you up with the -be nice today-s and the -make a new friend-s. You can thank your D Ma for that advice.

You'll come to realize your mom is right. And I do mean me here.

S-I-X. It seems little, really. You've got at least 12 more years at home, right?

One Sunday at church last year, while you were still in preschool, the pastor had a recognition day for kindergarteners. The kids and parents came up and were given a jar full of pennies. The pastor went on to explain that each penny represents each month the child would be living in the house before leaving for college. 12 months of pennies for the next 12 grades, or 12 years. The pastor then instructed that the parents should remove a penny at the completion of each month, slowly watching the penny jar empty, serving as a reminder of how short a time these children are at home. To parent, and appreciate, them accordingly.

Big gulp, and I do mean me here.

I love you so much my big six year old. I'm so proud of you.

Love,

MAMA

Photo: Erica Carter


Photo: Erica Carter

Photo: Erica Carter
Photo: Erica Carter


Previous birthday letters linked below... 


Dear Evans (4)

Dear Evans (3)

Dear Evans (2)

Dear Evans (1)