Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Design Q&A: Hollie Wood Style

Today's Q&A is with Hollie of Hollie Wood Style, LLC. She's a Charleston based designer currently working from her Winnebago in California. Hollie and I went to high school together and were cheerleaders together once upon a time! It's great to stay in touch through social media, and I love to see people from my home town living out their dreams. What I love about Hollie's work is that it feels comfortable and lived in. I love a room that has character and a story, and Hollie's design aesthetic definitely reflects those elements. 


How did you get into interior design? 
I got into interior design when I was a child with my mother exploring southern flea markets in North Carolina with my family. 

HWS

What's the biggest challenge you face as a designer? 
Marketing my aesthetic and choosing the right client that represents my brand. 

HWS

Describe your personal style at home. 
 Like the cozy warmth of a well-worn tattered sweater, the crumbling grace of an age-old European church, or the worn richness of faded textiles and the contrasting vintage floral tea cup set handed down from your great grandmother. My style is a renewed appreciation for what is used, loved, and worn. It embraces the uncommon character and wisdom embodied within timeworn imperfection while integrating ease and practicality. 

HWS

Do you have a go-to paint color? 
No, color is very important and nothing should be that easy. 

What's an easy way for someone to freshen up a space? 
Go outside and pick some flowers. 

HWS

What's been your most memorable project? 
Photographing Jackie Garbutt’s house. 

What are you currently working on? 
Renovating my 1975 Winniebago and promoting my Kickstarter campaign that is taking pre-orders that will fund the creation of my new design book, Antiquarian Glam Organic Lifestyle Design (OLD)

Any tips on being thrifty without compromising style? 
Buy what you love and be minimal. 

HWS
What would you say is timeless in design? 
Something with age. 

HWS

HWS

You've had some amazing press coverage, what's that been like? (see press coverage here)
It’s a true blessing from God and I’m thankful for the recognition. 

HWS

Any advice to give those just starting their career in design, or that are aspiring to get into the field? 
If you are passionate about design, your work will naturally radiate through your life.

HWS

How has the city of Charleston influenced your work? 
My work is known to have a historical tinge. I find inspiration from Charleston’s gritty but formal architecture. I’m all about contradiction in my design for example pairing masculine and feminine objects together plays a huge design role in my philosophy. Charleston captures a new masculine and feminine contradiction within it’s style and vibe. 


What's next for Hollie Wood style? 
I recently moved to California to expand my work on the west coast. This week I launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to create my new design book. I am reaching out to my family, friends, clients, and community for support to make my dream a reality. The new book, Antiquarian Glam Organic Lifestyle Design (OLD), is planned to be released later this year. For more information check out our Kickstarter campaign page.

HWS

For more from Hollie, be sure to visit the website, Facebook, Twitter, and instagram. You've got to check out the Kickstarter campaign for the Organic Lifestyle Design book as well. Thank you so much, Hollie, for the interview! It was great to catch up with you. Your passion for design and the creative community is very inspiring.