Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Ashley Houston Art

I finally picked up a paint brush after what felt like the longest break imaginable. It's the first time since having Evans I have painted. She's 10 months old. That's 300 ish days without doing one of the things I love most. Something that makes me- me. Something that passes the world away and let's me completely unwind. It's my own therapy, and I can't believe I went so long without. Isn't it true for all moms out there though? We are constantly give-give-give to our children and husbands, and accidentally forget to make time for ourselves. I love my job as a mom and can't think of a better or harder year than the last one I've spent caring for Evans. I am so thankful to have been able to take a time-out from the legal world as an attorney and fully enjoy motherhood. My husband won't ever know how grateful I am because I will surely never find the words. But, somewhere among the day in and day out of the diaper-bottle-play routine, moms get worn out. We do. And I think it's ok to admit that. I don't have the energy of a 10 month old most days to keep up with my wild girl and find myself hoping I am enough. And she's my only child. I know. I'm pathetic, right? And yet it's true. 

I think it's important for moms and wives to make certain not to lose who they are while taking on our roles as spouses and mothers. Never lose sight of what makes you an individual person. A big part of what makes me Ashley has always been art. There's a creative side to me that's always been a tick I can't shake. Painting is my happy place, and I feel so fortunate to be able to share my work with others. 

Evans started part time daycare a couple weeks back, and I was able to knock out several commissioned pieces. 

I've also been able to get a few originals completed and listed for sale! If you are interested in buying an original, or booking a commissioned piece, contact me. I'd be thrilled to work with you! 

16x20 $250


16x20 $275

9x12 $115

12x16 $135

I will run giveaways from time to time, as well as flash sales on Instagram so be sure to follow me there @ashleyhoustondesigns. So now I want to know, what makes you- you?