Friday, October 18, 2013

Spicy Beef Veggie Soup

It's been rainy and kind of chilly in Atlanta, and I've got a mad case of rhinitis thanks to the sweet baby bump. So, I thought I'd share a soup recipe today to get us through to the weekend. This is my mom's recipe that I grew up with. It's one of those feel good meals that gives my soul a big bear hug every time. Do you have recipes like that? I usually add extra kick with cayenne, spicy sausage, and hot sauce, but you can leave those out and it's just as good.. Way better than an iPhone pic lets on......


And aside from taste, it is SO easy to throw together (believe me, I'm no chef) and can feed a crowd. I will say when I first asked my mom for the recipe, she responded "Oh, I don't know, it's a little of this, little of that. I just eyeball it". You know how those family recipes are... so here's what it calls for, and you might really just have to eyeball some of it.

3 cans Del Monte stewed tomatoes (the big cans, 24 oz or whatever the size is)
1 16 oz can Hunts Tomato Sauce
2 16 oz cans Hunts diced tomatoes
6-8 oz  water (you can add more water later if you want it runnier)

(if you have picky eaters in your house, you can puree the above to make it all less lumpy. Sometimes I will chop up the stewed tomatoes a little bit so it's easy to spoon and eat)

1 lb lean ground beef
2 spicy Italian sausages

Squeeze sausages from casing, brown ground beef and sausage together. Drain. Pour tomato puree (if you pureed, if not, just add those ingredients) over browned beef in large pot.

Then, add:

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt/pepper/Frank's hot sauce to taste

Stir well. Add 1 bag frozen vegetables (the veggie medley, the large bag, I think it's 16oz), 1 packet Lipton beefy mushroom or onion soup mix. Stir well, cover, and simmer for hours (until the veggies look done and your whole house smells like Awesome Sauce).

Top with cheddar cheese if you want. Serve with cheese toast or cornbread, or if you are like us, both! Enjoy!