Friday, February 8, 2013

Gallery Walls

Ok, I know I'm not alone in this, but I love gallery walls.  I don't have one in my house, and I'm looking to remedy that sometime soon. As I started flipping through blogs and magazines, I noticed a few key things that I'm drawn to.

scale, scale, scale 

When putting together a gallery, I think it's so important to think about the size of your pictures and your frames. To me it makes a bigger impact (and looks less of an afterthought) when the frames are big and the mats are over-sized. You never want a gallery to feel overall wimpy. (size DOES matter, ha ha)

David Jimenez- via NYTimes


 organic and asymmetrical placements

I also love to see gallery walls like this one that are random in configuration. Symmetry is good sometimes, but for a gallery wall I think an organic arrangement gives added interest to a space. To me the less predictable the better. 

via La Dolce Vita

 pops of color 

Typically with a gallery wall, I like for the pictures to either be all black and white or all color. Otherwise to me it tends to look too busy. However, the following picture masters the pop of color brilliantly. I love the use of the simple black frames with white mats to display each photo. Paired with the white wall and black bench, each picture works together beautifully. 

via House and Home

 monochromatic themes

What's not to admire about the following image? The same wood tones throughout the frames pick up the peachy tones in the paintings, rug, and bench. 

Pinterest


 eclectic groupings 

Probably my favorite type of gallery wall is one that allows you to show who you and your family are. By combining family pictures, memorabilia and treasures, you can display a story rather than just artwork. Using different frame sizes/textures/finishes and incorporating other objects like mirrors and clocks gives this wall a nostalgic and vintage feel.  I love that. 

via Pottery Barn


  the use of texture and metallics

It's no surprise to anyone that knows me that I love this picture. I can't get enough gold and brass, really. I never caught the memo that brass was "out", but I'm glad it's back "in" because I could drink it up with a straw. An overall neutral gallery wall here gets pizazzed with the metallic finish on the frames. I love how the light dances off the frames just so, and the use of different color mats in one setting is beautiful. West Elm has similar gallery frames right now that I've been crushing over for a while. 

via Marika Meyer Interiors

Speaking of gallery walls, has anyone been to Target lately? I was there a few days ago (going in for only toothpaste and coming out with much more, oops) and noticed their frame collection is rocking right now. If you love gallery walls as much as I do, you should go check them out. 

Oh, and thanks to whoever nominated me and those who have voted for my blog on the Apartment Therapy dealy majig. How cool!



Hope everyone has an awesome weekend- oh and that reminds me.... It's SCOTTS WEEKEND again here in the ATL! Woop!