Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Black Doors and Styling Bookcases

I've been working on getting more of a "grown up" look going in my house lately.  My absolute favorite style is definitely coastal, and that's what I love to do and that's exactly the kind of accessories and "stuff" I had when hubs and I moved into our home.  However, over time, that style just didn't feel right in this traditional house in the middle of a metro Atlanta suburbia neighborhood.  Not right at all.  If I lived in, let's say, Savannah, or if I still lived near Lake Murray, I wouldn't even hesitate to make my entire home turquoise.  But that doesn't work in a Georgian traditional.  So.... I've been making just a few minor changes with paint and by using rearranging and shopping the house skills.

Starting with my interior doors.  They are all now BLACK.  I don't know why I didn't do this sooner, because I'm so in love with the results.  I went down to my local Benjamin Moore store to get the perfect black ("wrought iron").  This is the sign on their front door, it made me crack up!


Ha! Amen to that.  The results of my interior black doors...




And I rearranged my bookshelves.  While passing through my parents house last week on our way to Charleston, I found some old pictures of my dad's parents who are now both in Heaven.  I thought it would be so special to have these in my own home.  I never got to meet my dad's dad, and my grandmother passed away when I was in the first grade.  I'm really excited to see them and get to know them when I one day get to the other side! And the picture at the top shelf could not be any cuter.  It's my dad in 3rd grade.  He's such a cutie! Hehe.  Mom didn't have any pictures of herself to give me... or maybe she just didn't want to share her kid pics. ha. ha. 



Papa John 



I also scored a few mirrors from the Ballard Designs Outlet that now live in our foyer.  



With all this traditional grown-upping going on, I thought curtains in a funky modern pattern would be a great balance.  I love the way these turned out from Windows by Melissa.  Thanks, Melissa!