Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Merry Christmas

This year we did something we have never done before; we had Christmas at our own house!  Somehow, we convinced my parents to make the drive over and up to Atlanta to celebrate with us in the new home.  Actually, we had strength in numbers being that my brother and sis-in-law are here, and my sweet little niece, too.  Somehow, grandkids have a pretty big pull with grandparents.  Who knew?

In any event, Christmas this year was awesome.  I had forgotten what it is like to not have to travel on a holiday.  This year didn't feel rushed or stressful at all (at least not to me!).  My parents came in on Thursday and Friday, and we literally ate, drank, and lounged around for 4 days straight.  It was perfect! Well, maybe not 4 whole days.  Dad (poor guy, love you Dad) can't come visit without working on a project with me... I just like to have his advice and know-how when I'm starting a new project that involves anything electrical/wooden/painted/etc (I think that covers most of it?). This trip, he brought the rest of the built ins he has been working on for hubs' office.  Hubs painted the rest of the door fronts, and then the assembly began.  I'm always so impressed by my dad's work.  I don't know how he does it!  And I know hubs and I couldn't have a furnished home without both my parents' help (like my mom handing over the screened porch and kitchen of her own home for "drying racks" for the doors and cabinets... and giving over time with my dad when he was busy working on our projects.. and of course all of my dad's own hours put into awesome furniture.  I'm so grateful to have parents like this.)  

Ok, ok, I'll stop going on and on about my wonderful folks.  You get the idea, I love 'em.  So, here's what took place this weekend (aside from Christmas): painted the rest of the white door fronts, assembled the office furniture, and hung new sconces over the fireplace.  Sheesh, the office has been soooo much hard work on everyone's part, but it has been fun watching the transformation. Taking down wallpaper, scraping walls smooth, repainting gray molding to creamy white, 3 coats of brown on the walls...

Office progress:
Before

 After


New sconces (thanks Meg Mont):

But, like I said, the weekend wasn't all work.  We did manage to relax, a lot.  Christmas Eve dinner was at our house with my brother, sis-in-law and niece.  Hubs cooked a london broil on his new grill, my mom made her famous mashed potatoes, and I made some of hubs favorite family dishes- Grandmama Ruth's veggie casserole and and Grandmother Thelma's lemon pound cake.  He was away from his family over Christmas weekend, so I wanted him to have a little something familiar that he loves.  After we stuffed ourselves silly, we opened presents and played with Grayson.  She gets all of the attention, and for good reason, she is a freaking doll baby!


 Hubs enjoying his new chair:
 Ohhhh, what happens next Di?
 What's that on your lip Papa?

 Cute parents:

Gray says Merry Christmas, y'all (told ya, doll baby!):


Great weekend with family, and doing house projects.  Next up- painting the wood a creamy white in the Pinnochio Room.... say a prayer for me...