Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Master Bedroom Ideas

I've only mentioned Candice Olson once on this blog I think, which is extremely disproportionate to my love for her and her designs.  My all time favorite design show, Divine Design, is hosted by her.  Now she's got a new show called "Candice Tells All" in which she does more than design rooms.  This show is more about the design process and concepts.  I love everything she does, but one episode that stuck with me was one in which she designed a neutral bedroom. 


(photos from HGTV)

Normally, when I think neutral, I think 'how boring'.  But, there's something you should know about me.  I LOVE pattern and texture.  All kinds.  I can't be pinned down to traditional toile or to funky animal prints or to modern ikat.  I really just love it all.  But, all these different patterns can't really work in a room together unless you've got a cohesive color palette you stick to.  And if you know me, I love colors of all kind (except orange). So, I can't be pinned down by a cohesive color palette in a room.  I like to be able to use different colors and change things in and out as I feel like it.  I get tired of the same ol' same ol' really easily (which is also why I own so many pillow covers, sorry hubs).  It's nice to be able to change it up a bit.  So, what I decided after seeing Candice whip up a beautiful neutral bedroom was that I'd like one of my own.  That way, all bets are off with pattern.  I can print-it-up until my heart is content. And, by sticking with a neutral palette, I can always change the look with a pop of color here and there (brown when I'm feeling cozy, blue for spring, yellow for summer, red for Christmas, etc etc).

A couple inspiration rooms:



And rooms with added color splashes:


And now for my own ideas.  Right now, that's all they are, ideas.  This is all stuff I'll have to acquire over time (cha-ching), but it is still fun to plan and be on the hunt for deals.

Our current bedding, all white bedding from PB:

Paired with the PB washed velvet quilt:


The PB Raleigh Headboard (but DIY this... Dad?) :

Ikat Euro Shams ala Ballard Designs:
This cozy throw, and a couple items from Ballard's Travers bedding collection:

The PB Thyme Rug, either 5x8 or 8x10 tucked under the bed:
West Elm ikat panels:
World Market Osiris sheer panels:

The PB antique mercury glass bedside lamps:
World Market Vance Metal accent table:
All of these awesome items combined to build my dream bedroom design board:

As Veruca Salt would say... "I want it nooooooow".  I hope I don't turn into a bad egg.