Friday, November 11, 2011

Very Superstitious

Writings on the wall, right Stevie Wonder?  Superstitions, they are everywhere.  Even people who say they aren't superstitious probably have some sort of routine they just won't, or can't, break.  Why?  Bad luck, good luck, something will change? Who knows, but we do it.  We're all guilty.  Today is 11/11/11, who didn't realize that this morning...

First of all, I'm married to a former baseball player, and current baseball junkie.  If you don't know, baseball people, are... um... superstitious.  Really.  Superstitious.  (and a little bit crazy, too? eh, you be the judge)   My own husband is victim to the mad baseball curse.  Back in his playing days, he had to eat a Rush's chicken sandwich before every home game.  Why?  Well if he didn't, he'd grow a set of extra ears and his feet would turn backwards, don't you see?  He never washed his socks until he'd gone hitless in a game while wearing them.  And he wore his same undershirt during a winning streak.   (so they are a little bit dirty, too?) He always did pre-game warm ups with the same guy if they had won the game before, and when the batting count was 2 balls, 2 strikes, and 2 outs his team would shake their caps in the dugout and chant "you gotta believe".  All in the name of superstition. 

And it doesn't stop at high school ball.  We've seen the rally caps and spirit sticks from our own CWS back-to-back champions (had to throw this in somewhere!).

I have routines of my own I cannot break.  I always wear my wedding bands pointing a certain way, so that the markings inside of it are facing me.  If I don't, I'll fall and break my arm or the rings will slide right off my finger.  Or both.  I'd rather just face them towards me to prevent something awful like that happening.  And at work, I always park in or near the same parking space.  If I don't, I'm probably going to have the worst work day of my life, I just know it.  Or worse, I'll walk into some important meeting I completely forgot about, I am totally unprepared, and oh, I'm the keynote speaker.  Because that happens. So instead, I just try to park in that same spot... you know, for my career and all.  And if Carolina is losing a game, I'll switch shirts and change seats on the couch, or stand up, or leave the room.  Hey, it works half the time...

Superstitions.  They really are everywhere.  Good luck like 11/11/11, a rabbit's foot, and a 4 leaf clover, and bad luck charms we steer clear of.  Never walk under a ladder.  Broken mirror, 7 years bad luck. Not that I put much stock in either of these, but I am definitely not dumb enough to test them out.  Because, as with all superstitions, I start thinking there just might be some truth in it, and I can't risk something like that.

(and there's also that superstition that says if you are in a circle, evil things can't harm you- whoever said that obviously has not seen the movie "The Ring")

So, I hope today is a good luck kind of day for you.  As for me, I've got to run.  An eyelash has fallen out I need to wish on, and I've just found a penny on the floor that's heads up...