Thursday, November 17, 2011

Traffic

Considering my commute has been a little crazy to and from the office the past couple days, I thought I'd post about this city's traffic.  Atlanta ranks 3rd nationally for worst traffic, falling behind only Los Angeles and Washington, DC.  People who live here are not going to be surprised at that stat.  I'd never seen anything like it before I moved to the big city.  Sure, SC had its spouts of cars here and there, and I-26 and Lexington could be a bear at times.  But, that all pales big time in comparison to the ATL.

First of all- rush hour.  In SC, I remember rush hour being from about 4:45 to 6:30 ish.  And by "rush hour" I mean that a span of about 10 miles on I-26 would be crowded, and downtown streets would have its usual traffic with stop lights, etc.  (oh, and those stupid trains!)  In Atlanta, I've not really discovered rush hour, because it feels like rush day here.  It takes 15 minutes to get anywhere, at the least.  I guess if you pinpointed the times when the streets were most fogged over, it's between the hours of 3:45pm and 7:30pm.  If I could just leave work at 3:00 each day, then I'd be good to go (except on Fridays- when you can count on traffic from 3:00 until about, oh, midnight.)

Usually when there's traffic, people take the back roads.  Well, here in the city, there really aren't per se "back" roads.  Back roads around my office in Buckhead consist of neighborhoods, and everyone knows those short cuts.  Ever seen a line of cars driving through a residential area twice daily... well that's "back roading" in Atlanta.   And even the "short" cut back roads get congested.  Oy.

There's millions of people trying to get home at once everyday, so it is no wonder why the traffic is what it is.  But to make matters worse, wrecks.  Holy cow.  Worst word you'll ever hear sitting on 400.  Wreck.  That's code word for my life is wrecked now because I'll be here an extra hour or two while my car overheats and I run out of gas.  Oh, and why didn't I use the bathroom before I left? (side note* I've learned that's a rule to live by in the city, don't even think about hopping in your car without hitting the girls/boys room first).  And from my experience on 400, it is no wonder why there are so many of these wrecks.  Seriously.  On my morning commutes as I'm sitting, literally parked, on 400, I take a look around.  Girls doing their makeup, with everything out but the light kit from the vanity.  Men reading the newspaper (yes, for real reading the paper at the wheel, and hoping to make the next headline: "Wreck on 400, Stupid Man Reads Paper").  Moms turned around reaching for the back carseat.  And everyone texting, texting their lives away baby.  400 is the best place for it afterall.  Four lanes of traffic, stop and go, what's there to pay attention to? It's not like you'll wreck or anything... oh wait.

Aside from wrecks clogging up the roads, it's indecisive drivers.  You know these people.  If you don't, let me introduce you.  One is Median Guy.  The guy who gets over in the median just enough to acknowledge that there is one, but leaves a wheel out in the road just far enough to where you still have to actually stop for him.  It's as if his wheel and bumper are staring straight back at you, laughing.  (we're waiting on Median Guy to turn us, and you're waiting on us, too! nanana boo boo... If you haven't actually heard a tire and bumper stick their tongues out and taunt you, you will in Atlanta).  And you can count on Median Guy staying there a long time waiting to turn, he's indecisive afterall.  Add 5 to 8 minutes to your commute if you are behind this guy.

Then there's Busy Street Bike Rider Guy.  I'm not against bike riders.  Really, I'm not.  Share the road and all that, I definitely agree.  BUT, do I HAVE to share Peachtree Road?  Seriously?  Peachtree.  The same road that has all the problems from the millions of people, the traffic, the wrecks, and Median Guy.  Now, I've got to share it with 10mph Busy Street Bike Rider Guy? The answer is yes, yes I do.  I'll patiently wait for him to turn off Peachtree or get over enough to get around him.  Add 15 minutes to your normal commute if you are behind this guy.

And lastly, the MARTA bus.  No big explanation needed here.  But let me just say, isn't it great when the bus pulls over as if to stop at the bus stop, only at the last minute to realize no one is actually getting on or off, and it veers right back in front of you in traffic, as if to say "psych!".  Thanks MARTA, had no idea you had such a sense of humor.

All of this makes me ask, in my best Amy Poehler voice, really? Really? Really.

It's also not surprising that Atlanta ranks among the nation's worst drivers, too.  146th out of 200 of America's biggest cities.  Oh, traffic...