Monday, November 28, 2011

Friends Thanksgiving

And no, not the TV show.  But, our friends.  We decided to have a pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving, and decided to host it at our house.  And so, host we did.  Which to me means decorate first, cook later (because I'm no cook, and everyone would be bringing a dish anyways). 

Prior to the house, I really didn't have any turkey day decor.  What's a dinner party without a centerpiece... no.  This could not happen.  I scrounged around through my holiday stuff and found the pumpkins I use for Halloween.  I figured they could work as Thanksgiving, too.  Pumpkins don't really discriminate between the holidays (they are so equal opportunity).  Ony Jack-o-lanterns do.  Considering these pumpkins didn't have faces, on the table they went.  Instead of buying turkey runners or leafy tableclothes (because I'm no bank), I decided to use fabric remnants I already had.  I cut out rectangles to use as runners (because I'm no seamstress), and threw some table napkins under the pumpkins.  I had hubs pick some stems out of the yard (because I'm no gardner), and the colorful free leaves adorned the centerpiece as well.  That was pretty much it.  Host decorating- without spending any money- done! Now for cooking...if only that were as easy.





Hubs whipped up the bird, and I decided to try Pioneer Woman's mac-n-cheese recipe.  First time I had ever made mac-n-cheese that didn't involve opening a powdered cheese sauce packet.  The recipe was delicious, and I consider myself a mac-n-cheese snob.  Hubs, being the poultry man he is, of course baked the most delicious and juicy 20lb turkey I've ever had.  He's made a tradition out of cooking turkeys over the last few years, and every year it gets better.  Good job, hubs. 



In fact, everyone's dish was the go-back-for-seconds kind.  We decided all the women in our small group know their way around the kitchen (well, I faked it- that Pioneer Woman recipe is really just that good).  The proof was in the mashed potatoes, spinach and apple salad, corn casserole, green bean casserole, homemade stuffing (none of that boxed mess!), peach cobbler, and pumpkin pie.  Oy, in a good way.



We always enjoy spending time with this group.  But, being able to have them over to our place was an added bonus.  We are really thankful for our friends. 



Happy Friends Thanksgiving!