Friday, October 21, 2011

An Obsession

Initially, this post was called "A Hobby".  A hobby: one of those regular activities or interests undertaken for pleasure... from time to time.  About two paragraphs into this post, I realized I'm not embracing a mere hobby.  No.  What I suffer from is an obsession.  And it's deep.

Pottery Barn.

How do they do it?  If all my thoughts on what a perfect house would look like, what a cozy room would feel like, and the type of place that would just scream "This is for YOU!", well it's anything and everything Pottery Barn.   Now, I'm not one that has to have a brand name, trust me.  I don't buy a sweater just because of its tag. The roots of this obsession do not stem from brand.  Unfortunately, my affliction is so much worse.  A retail store, beginning in a small shop in Lower Manhattan, spread across the U.S. and the world, with American made furniture and textiles, and a commitment to great design and function has somewhere over the years taken a tiny chip, planted it in my brain, and now controls my every design dream and thought.  Yes, another Pottery Barn Robot is made.  There are many of us out there.  We look like friends and neighbors, even family members, but at our core is a hunger.

You've seen the movie Pod People, right?

I can't remember the exact date I became a PBR, but I do remember the euro shams.  How could I forget?  I was on a hunt to find that perfect antique but modern bedding, that had the cozy feel of Grandma's, but modern enough to be a 20-somethings bedding. 

There I was, in the middle of a crowded Lenox Mall, heading my usual route up the escalator and out to the parking deck, when there it was.  In the window of the old corner location store was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen (seriously, it was my Forest meets Jenny moment).  Lights poured down on the interlocked cotton and linen fabrics.  I heard what I thought to be a choir singing "Aaaahhh".  (Although, now years later, it's more of a screaming "AAAAAAAH!" from an obsession that won't quit).

I couldn't believe it when I found it:

(image from Pottery Barn)

The Matine Toile Quilt.  Seriously?  Did you jump into my brain and read my thoughts when designing this bedding, Pottery Barn?  That's the only logical explanation.

These episodes have happened numerous times since then.  The most recent encounter I had was with shutters.  I thought one day, 'How cool would it be to find some old wooden shutters, paint them up, and place them behind a bed as a headboard?'.  Not even a month later, I'm flipping through a Pottery Barn catalogue.  What do I find?

This:



(image from Pottery Barn)

The Alden Reclaimed Wood Headboard.  Wow.  They had done it again. 

An obsession.  It's eerie.  My husband would say it's unfortunate.  My bank account would say it's murder.  My life coach would say it's goal achieving.  My friends would say it's laughable.  PBRs would say they relate (remember, we are walking around like normal people, you won't even recognize us for the pods, err robots, errr obsessors.. that we are... The only real way to detect a PBR? Her home is fabulous, her wallet is empty, and her husband is disheveled). 

I feel much better having shared this now.  They say the first step to recovery is admitting, right?  :)



(image from Pottery Barn)