Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween

Halloween.  I just can't help myself.  I love this holiday.  Of all the holidays, it brings the kid out in me the most.  I suppose that's because it's mostly a kid's holiday.  And I suppose it's because there's a big part of me that is still mostly kid.  Whatever the case, Halloween, well, it rocks.



(images from HGTV)

Halloween has a distinct presence.  It really does.  And no, I don't mean that candy is lining the grocery  shelves, and any store you walk in you have a moving witch, zombie, or mummy singing to you  (although, these are present).  It's more than that.  It's sort of that leaves are falling, crisp air feeling.  Growing up, we always referred to it as "Halloween smell".  I haven't noticed it yet this year, but with the cold snap winding up, I'm sure it's coming soon.  And when it does, I'll call my dad and let him know I found "Halloween smell", like every other year.

Speaking of my dad, I think it's because of him that I love Halloween so much.  Aside from taking me trick-or-treating every year, my dad is a heck of a ghost story teller.  Seriously.  This is more of a year-round thing, not exactly Halloween specific.  I remember as a kid always asking dad to tell me a story.  It was usually when we were stuck in his old truck, waiting for rain to die down so we could run inside to the house.  I didn't mind.  That meant story time.  I can remember one vividly.  The short of it (really, straight from Cliff's notes) was that a man's truck had broken down in the snow, he abandoned the car and hiked miles through a forest until he came to an old farmhouse.  The house was empty, but there were notes left everywhere with instructions for passers-by.  The house was stocked with food and water.  The man waited out the snow storm for nearly a week in the house, keeping fed by the stew and warm by the fire.  Once the storm had finally cleared, he decided to head back to his truck.  As he made his way back to the edge of the forest, he turned to get a last glimpse at the house... and... the house was gone...all that was left behind? his footprints in the snow..... :)

Dad also used to sing me this silly song at Halloween that still makes me giggle.  He'd do it in his best ghoul voice.  "Don't you laugh when a ghost goes by... or youuuu'lll be the next to die (muahahaha).. they'll wrap you up in a bloody sheet, send you in a hole 7 feet deep.  First your eyes will pop out, then your teeth will decay, and that's the end of your perfect day... muahahahaha".  Ha ha.  Ridiculous as this song is, it's all part of the silly fun.


(Don't laugh, he'll get you)

Something else I love about this time of year?  I can watch the movie "Hocus Pocus" and not feel like a total loser.  I could hang out with the Sanderson Sisters on the 4th of July.  Hilarious.  Come little children, take thee away... I've been there, thank you, find it quite lovely!

(Disney's Hocus Pocus)
While we're on the subject of Hollywood, I'm glad the world is finally catching on.  Vampires rule.  They do.  I've always been somewhat of a Vampire nut.  That old show Dark Shadows? Loved it.  Not that I remember any of it now, but I do remember it being one of my favorites.  Every year I begged my mom to take me to see Dracula: Ballet with a Bite.  When I was home with chicken pox, Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry were permanent fixtures on my TV.  Now, it seems vamps are everywhere.  From True Blood on HBO all the way to Twilight in the theaters, people are loving fangs these days.


(ABC's Dark Shadows, circa '80 something)

(Century FOX Buffy)

Not all of my Halloween fun comes from childhood.  In college, it was mandatory to take a British themed lit class.  How horribly boring does that sound to you... Well, lucky for me, I noticed that one of the themes was Gothic Literature, and the teacher?  None other than Dr. Ridenhour (who happened to be my English 101 prof as well, and excellent!)  Gothic Lit meant we got to read classics like Dracula, Jekyll & Hyde, Carmilla, The Island of Dr. Moreau, etc. etc.  And while others were trying to stay awake through Shakespeare or Charlotte Bronte (rest in peace), we were watching clips of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (the Giles, Cordelia, Faith version) and surveying spooky music.  Arguably the most fun I ever had in an English class.  Unfortunately for USC, Dr. R has moved on to another college.  But, you should check out his latest novel, Barking Mad  (get your copy here- http://www.typecastpublishing.com/barkingmad).   Witty and thrilling, and most importantly it will get you ready for "Halloween smell". 



(image from Typecast Publishing)


Happy Halloween!