Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Dining Room

I promised family that I would start a blog to be able to share all the renovations and changes to our home with those who can't be in Atlanta to see it ( and be here to help, ha ha ).  I was also inspired by a fellow art friend of mine from college, Melissa Spivey.  She's been keeping an awesome blog and detailing all the changes she's making to her lovely home so that one day she can look back on all of her hard work.  (You should check it out here- http://www.belowblueskies.com/).  So far, this blog has been for me to rant my random ramblings.  This will be my first official post on our own hard work.

The dining room.  To me, this is one of the most important spaces in a home.  I grew up in a house that loved to entertain, which often meant extending the leaf of the big ol' oak table, and getting out the plate chargers and name holders. Not to mention, I'm part of a family that gathers for Thanksgiving every year, with about 60 or so in attendance.  Not exaggerating.  Here we are many Thanksgivings ago, my first cousins and me (there are so many of us now between spouses and kids- it is hard to keep up)





So- dining rooms to me are a big deal.

I guess the only way to start is with a before shot.  Here it is the day we moved in (and I apologize up front for my camera... err iphone.  I don't own a nifty spiffy camera like most people in the blogging world.)



Not that I don't like burgundy/garnet (I am a Gamecock afterall), but perhaps I just don't want it splashed across my foyer and dining room. So, first thing was paint.  I tried out Benjamin Moore's Bennington Gray, which made its debut and exit on the same day.  It was much too gray for this space.  I went back to my trusty old friend, Coastal Path, which is also at our city condo.



Next up, the lighting.  I actually really loved the lighting that was in the home, but I would have loved it more if we had 15 foot ceilings and a huge dining room.  However, we have a cozy space that needed a cozy fixture.  This one was not doing it.

I read on Pinterest that you can spray paint old brass fixtures.  So, I scoured Craigslist and found an old brass chandelier for $30, including 8 black shades.  How could I miss?

Spray painted and hung: 

Then, I was on the quest to find a cheap but beautiful rug.  Rugs are expensive.  I mean, really expensive.  Especially big ones, which is what most people need.  I was determined to spend under $200 on an 8x10.  I had no idea how or if I could do it, but do it I did.  I was in love with World Market's Feather Rug.. but I was not in love with the price.  However,  I'm addicted to Overstock (http://www.o.co/)  and found if not THE feather rug, well a pretty doggone close companion:

So, 8x10 for under $200, mission accomplished. Hooray! Of course, my husband still says, "You paid WHAT!" ;)

Last weekend the hubs and I got around to hanging lanterns and drapery.  When I say we got around to it, I mean that he got around to the doing, and I got around to the instructing (what is it about power tools, manual labor, and husbands and wifes that just doesn't quite mesh?). 

Here's the hubs handy work:



And my PB Sadie Silk drapes (I'm obsessed, I know)

(image from Pottery Barn)
And last, but definitely not least, the furniture.  All handmade by who is arguably the best man in the whole world (sappy, I know).  My daddy! He made our china cabinet (pictured above), and is currently building us a rustic farmhouse table.  Table in progress...



I'll have these pieces forever and know that my dad built them.  Talk about a family heirloom.  I couldn't be happier!

This is my new favorite room in our home.  Everytime I walk up the stairs or through to the kitchen, I can't help but pause and take a look around. This room will soon be complete!


My ideas still to come...
End chairs parson chairs and palampore fabric:

(image from Pottery Barn)
and recovering the side chairs with this toile: